The DD Network of Nevada is pleased to announce the “How to make Accessible Microsoft Word Documents” Full-Day WorkShop on the UNR Campus.
Make your Microsoft Word Documents Accessible
Learn how easy it is to:
- Create new accessible text documents using Microsoft Word
- Identify accessibility issues in existing MS Word documents
- Apply remediation strategies.
A comprehensive workshop suitable for anyone seeking to understand accessibility and learn simple steps to make a Word document more accessible. Adopting the techniques taught in this workshop, participating organizations can ensure electronic texts are more accessible to employees, customers and other constituents—with or without disabilities.
The workshop is instructor lead on Windows computers in a computer lab environment, a basic working knowledge of word processing is recommended.
- Understand accessibility
- Why document accessibility is important?
- What makes a document accessible?
Specific hands on activities:
- Name a document
- Apply title and heading styles
- Create a properly spaced bulleted list
- Add alternative text to images
- Create a data table optimized for accessibility
- Create accessible hyperlinks
- Add a table of contents
- Find and correct insufficient color contrast
- Accessibility check the document
- Remediate a document
As a result of attending this training, participants will be able to::
- Describe why accessibility is important
- Identify what makes a document accessible
- Create a new accessible Word document
- Remediate an existing Word document
- Complete hands-on activities in a computer lab
- Obtain a Certificate of Completion
- Eligible to receive the Accessible Document Certificate of
- Proficiency upon successful completion of an optional test
- Receive additional material including an Accessibility
- Checklist, template and meet with users of assistive technology.
This workshop is a product of the Developmental Disabilities Network of Nevada. The DD Network is composed is composed of:
The Nevada Center for Excellence in Disabilities (NCED)
The Nevada Disability Advocacy & Law Center (NDALC)
The Nevada Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities (NGCDD)
These entities are a result of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act of 2000 (DD Act) additional information about these entities can be found at the Administration of Community Living or from each entities respective websites.